Tuesday, June 12, 2012

June 2012 Birchbox

I received my June Birchbox yesterday and I thought I'd share what I received and my thoughts on this month's box.

As I shared in my May Glossybox post, I've been a Birchbox subscriber for over a year now.  For $10/month I receive a box filled with 4-6 deluxe size beauty and lifestyle samples from well-known and emerging brands.

Most months my Birchbox arrives in a hot pink protective box surrounding a kraft colored box embossed with the Birchbox logo.  I would rate the Birchbox packing fairly high, but it certainly doesn't have the same flare and heft as the Glossybox packaging.

Each month's Birchbox has a different theme.  The theme of the June box was Jet Set, a box "devoted to products that will indulge your inner jetsetter."


This month I received the following samples:

Comodynes - Self-Tanning Intensive ($14.99/Pack of 8)
Who needs the sun when you can get a safe, buildable, and natural-looking tan with these bestselling European towelettes?

Sample size: 2 towelettes
Sample value: $3.75

Masqueology - Pore Minimizing Mask ($24/Pack of 3)
This targeted sheet mask shrinks visible pores while amping up your skin's moisture levels.  Use it daily and--if you're brave--during your next flight.

Sample size: 1 mask
Sample value: $8

Stila - One Step Bronze ($36/1 oz)
Fake an island glow with this three-in-one bronzer, primer, and serum.  It also keeps your skin's oil production in check.

Sample size: 1 oz
Sample value: $36

theBalm Cosmetics - Stainiac in Beauty Queen ($17/.3 oz)
We're crazy about this two-in-one lip and cheek stain: the sheer gel formula delivers a subtle, long-wearing flush.

Sample size: 0.04 oz
Sample value: $2.67

tili - Bags ($8.49/Pack of 12)
Breeze through airport security with these too-cute plastic bags.  They're perfectly sized for storing all your travel essentials (and beauty samples).

Sample size: 1 bag
Sample value: $0.71

John Varvatos - Star USA ($55/1.7 oz)
In honor of Father's Day, we've included this dapper cologne, a blend of ginger, juniper berries, and vetiver.  Pass it on to a lucky guy friend or family member.

Sample size: 0.04
Sample value: $1.29

Total box value: $52.42

While I have to say the value of the samples I received this month was great, this month's box doesn't hold too much that I'll actually find use for.  Of the sample items I received, I'm definitely looking forward to using the Pore Minimizing Mask and I'm very excited to have the lip/cheek stain.  As a happily pale gal, I probably won't get any use out of the tanning towelettes or the bronzing product.  The extras this month (the bag and cologne sample) don't really excite me at all.

This month is a perfect example of my main complaint with Birchbox.  Each month they have 20+ different box varieties that they send out to customers and they vary so greatly not only in contents but often in value.  While Birchbox has an online beauty profile you fill out when you sign up, I really hold no faith that they actually take into consideration an individual's interests, needs, and preferences based on that profile.  While I certainly think my box this month was of fantastic value, only a few of the products I received actually suit me and my tastes.  That is the risk of beauty subscription services as a whole--they are often very hit or miss.

I'll be back again next month to share the contents of my July Birchbox (which will be a collaboration with Glamour Magazine) as well as a little update on what I thought of this month's products once I've given them a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons