Wednesday, August 15, 2012

August 2012 Birchbox

Warning: this post is going to be a Birchbox rant.  My August box arrived and it has to be the absolute worst Birchbox I've received in the year and a half that I've been subscribed.  This month two of the four samples I received were absolutely miniscule and what you can get for free by simply walking into a store and asking for a sample.  The other products I received are lackluster at best.

My August Birchbox included:

Juicy Couture - Viva la Juicy La Fleur ($70/2.5 oz)
This modern scent is a feminine blend of wild berries, mandarin, and waterlily.

Sample size: 0.05 oz
Sample value: $1.40

Stila - Stay All Day 10-in-1 HD Beauty Balm, Foundation & Concealer ($38/45ml and $44/1 oz & 1 g)
These multitasking favorites are your cheat sheet to flawless skin.

Sample size: 0.006 oz, 0.006 oz, and 0.003 oz
Sample value: $0.54

Whish - Shave Cream ($20/150 ml)
The organic shea butter in this foam-free shaving cream softens skin as you shave.

Sample size: not listed on product (1 oz or less)
Sample value: <$4

Yu-Be - Moisturizing Skin Cream ($16/1.25 oz)
This best-selling Japanese cream hydrates chapped lips, rough heels, and cracked hands.

Sample size: 0.1 oz
Sample value: $1.28

Extra - Schick Hydro Silk Razer ($9.99/1 razor)

Sample size: 1 razor
Sample value: $9.99

Total box value: <$17.21

First of all, I find it pathetic that the most valuable sample in my box this month is a drugstore razor.  Yes, a razor is a useful tool that I will most certainly use, but I do not want to receive a drugstore razor in my sample box of high end products that I pay for.  I am an avid couponer and I buy high quality razors from the drugstore and I pay less than a dollar each for them.  Thus the razor holds little to no value to me.

Receiving shaving cream in a box is disappointing to me.  I do not have sensitive skin and I will not, under any circumstances, be so blown away by a shaving cream that I will spend more than $0.50 for a bottle (again, I'm a couponer, so I get these toiletries for next to nothing).

The samples from Stila are so tiny that, besides the fact that they are much too dark for my porcelain skin, I couldn't even get a single full use out of them to see if I'd like the way they work for me.

The Yu-Be cream smells so intensely medicinal (think Vicks Vapor Rub) that I can't imagine I'd be inclined to use it unless I was ill.

The only sample this month that I find pleasant is the perfume, but this is such a tiny sample that I could easily get for free from Sephora, Ulta, or any department store.  This wouldn't bother me if at least a few of my other samples were decent.

As I've said before, my biggest complaint about Birchbox is their inconsistency between the value of the boxes and samples sent out to customers each month.  This month numerous boxes contained full-size PIXI makeup products (each valued at $18) among other samples.  Those boxes were above and beyond the value and worth of the box myself and others received.  I truly feel that Birchbox should focus more effort each month to ensure all customers receive a more balanced value for their money.  Each month I research the various boxes that are sent out to customers to see how even the distribution of products was.  I suggest Zadidoll's post on the August box, if you're curious to see the inconsistencies that upset me.

For me, Birchbox is entirely hit or miss.  About half the time I'm satisfied or elated with my boxes, and the other half I'm utterly disappointed and feel ripped off.  Last month I was really happy with my box.  The previous month not so much.  Because Birchbox has a great point system, I stay subscribed despite my numerous issues with their service.  I don't dislike Birchbox as a whole, I enjoy the concept and the product (most of the time).  I just feel like they should take it upon themselves to be more even and consistent in the boxes they send to subscribers each month.

4 comments:

  1. What a bummer! The samples are so small! :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was completely disappointed as well! I just received that razor free from Walmart samples and I have another one coming free from Sam's Club samples! In my box I got Beauty Fixation Cuticle Conditioner, which look like Q-tips that are pre loaded with the conditioner. I also got this tiny little pot of Wei purifying mud mask and some teensy tiny Wei buffing beads. I call shenanigans on this months box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, the worst part is that about half the boxes had full-size makeup items, so the ones of us who got nothing but junk were totally gypped!

      Delete
  3. Honestly, I wasn't in love with any of the boxes this month, I have them all listed on my blog. I do think that this was one of the lowest value box, if not the lowest. I'm actually pretty disappointed that Stila would even consider that as a sample to give Birchbox, that kinda reminds me of a sample you would find inside a magazine or something :(
    Hopefully Birchbox listens to their customers and stops sending out these wannabe deluxe samples.

    Anyway, I'm your newest follower

    XOXO Tiffany
    Http://www.mymakeupboxes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons