Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Pizza

When I decided to add Beer Can Chicken to the list of recipes I was going to try out for the week, I immediately knew I wanted to save the extra chicken for a pizza.  I had been meaning to try making a Chicken Enchilada Pizza for quite some time and when I saw this amazing version from Gimme Some Oven, I knew I had whip one up for myself.

I used Ali's pizza as inspiration but decided to do my own thing with the toppings.  I wanted something quick and simple to throw together and, since I've been excited to try out some of the products at the new Trader Joe's in Lexington, I decided to take a few shortcuts and utilize some of their products.  I used Trader Joe's fresh, plain pizza crust and enchilada sauce for the base of my pizza.  I then topped it with a generous sprinkle of freshly grated cheddar jack cheese, leftover shredded Beer Can Chicken, thinly sliced red onion, and a little cilantro after baking.

The resulting pizza was delicious and, I have to say, I was pretty impressed with the Trader Joe's pizza dough and enchilada sauce.  I'm pretty picky about pizza crust and, though I've tried several recipes, have yet to find a traditional pizza crust recipe that I've enjoyed.  I think I'll stick with the Trader Joe's pizza dough in the future (besides, you can't be the price and convenience).

I went simple with the toppings this time, but I definitely think fire roasted corn, bell pepper, and black beans would be lovely additions.  Also, I highly recommend you add a few dollops of guacamole to your pizza before you chow down.  So good!


Chicken Enchilada Pizza
inspired by Gimme Some Oven

1 large unbaked pizza crust, homemade or store bought
1/2 cup enchilada sauce, homemade or store bought
2 cups freshly shredded cheddar jack cheese
1 cup shredded cooked chicken
1/4 large red onion, thinly sliced
handful of fresh cilantro, stems removed

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  If using a baking stone, be sure to preheat it along with your oven.

On a sheet of parchment, top your shaped pizza crust with 1/2 cup (more or less, to taste) of enchilada sauce, spreading evenly but leaving a 1-inch border around the edge of the crust.  Layer the cheese, chicken, and red onion evenly over the sauce.

Carefully move the parchment paper/pizza to the preheated baking stone, or place on a large baking sheet and place in the preheated oven.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust begins to turn golden brown.  Remove from the oven and sprinkle with fresh cilantro.  Slice and serve immediately.  Add a few dollops of guacamole and/or sour cream, if desired.

*Adjust the ingredients for the toppings as desired.  Try adding additional toppings (I suggest fire roasted corn, bell pepper, and/or black beans) or play around with the amounts to suit your tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons