Wednesday, March 13, 2013

March 2013 Birchbox

The March 2013 Birchbox was March Madness themed, with a focus on products that "make the cut--from up-and-coming rookies to veteran all-stars."  In the spirit of March Madness, all month long Birchbox will be hosting a series of beauty face-offs on their Facebook page to determine what subscribers rate as the best products across numerous categories.  Sounds like a fun idea and perhaps a handy way to discover new products to try!

My March 2013 Birchbox included the following samples:

Macadamia Natural Oil - Healing Oil Treatment ($39.95/4.2 oz)
Quicker than a trip to Hawaii, this featherweight hair treatment woos us with a combination of lush macadamia nut and argan oils.  Bonus: it cuts down on drying time.

Sample size: 1oz
Sample value: $9.51

I haven't tried this product from Macadamia Natural Oil before, but the entire line gets non-stop rave reviews so I'm really excited to received this sample!  The sample size is very generous so I'll get lots of use out of the product and will be able to fully form an opinion on it.  I'm thrilled to get to try this out.

MAKE - Dual-Phase Eye Makeup Remover ($18.00/4 oz)
Opposites attract in this gentle-but seriously effective-remover.  Shake to combine the layers of oil, chamomile, and cucumber-infused H2O, then apply with a cotton ball.

Sample size: 1 oz
Sample value: $4.50

Another generous size sample makes me very happy!  I use an eye makeup remover every night that I wear makeup, so this will come in handy.  I'm especially intrigued by the inclusion of chamomile and cucumber infused water in this particular remover.  It sounds as though it will be very gentle and nourishing.  I look forward to using this!

MAKE - Silk Cream Lipstick ($18.00 full size)
We were smitten with this new brand's lovely pigments even before we found out that one-third of all sales are donated to charity.  We'll take one in every shade.

Sample size: unknown
Sample value: unknown

This teeny tiny lipstick is adorable.  I received the shade Maraschino Cherry which is a vibrant pinky red (see below for swatch).  The color is very pigmented and looks beautiful sheered out or worn opaque and bold.  This will be a fun shade to keep in my bag for spring when I'm feeling a little daring with my look.

SAGE + fasten - Common Sense Eau de Parfum ($50.00/50 ml)
Made in New York, this small-batch scent features layers of lotus flowers, peach, and lychee.  We love that it's free of parabens, sulfates, and synthetics.

Sample size: 3.5 ml
Sample value: $3.50

I love this scent!  The combination of subtle floral and fruity notes make it incredibly fresh and approachable.  This is one of those scents that just make me feel happy.  I also adore the fact that it's a miniature rollerball.  I look forward to wearing this and testing it out to see how long the scent lingers on me.  If this one has good lasting power, I think I'll be purchasing it in the future.

Macadamia Natural Oil - Deep Repair Masque ($36.00/8.5 oz)
Made with macadamia and tea tree oils, this rich treatment strengthens strands from the inside while also adding major gloss.

Sample size: 0.5 oz
Sample value: $2.12

I purchased one of the little foil pack samples of this hair masque a few months back.  I was able to get a couple of uses out of it and enjoyed using it.  This is a really expensive masque, so I'm really happy to have another sample of it to use.

Madewell for Birchbox - Emery Board ($5.00/board)
We teamed up wtih Madewell to create this adorable mini savior, patterned after a print from their new spring collection.

Sample size: 1 board
Sample value: $5.00

How freaking adorable is this emery board?  I also love the fact that they thought to include a plastic sleeve for it.  I like to keep an emery board in my purse for emergencies, but I hate the way they feel loose in my bag.  This beautiful file is going straight to my handbag where I'll happily pull it out as needed.

Total box value: $20.13+

A swatch of the MAKE Silk Cream Lipstick in Maraschino Cherry.

I have to say, well done Birchbox!  I'm crazy about my box this month.  I love the lipstick, the perfume, and the emery board and I am super excited about the hair products and eye makeup remover.  This is one of the best boxes I've had in months and months.  Absolute home run!

5 comments:

  1. Hi there, I found your blog while searching for Birchbox reviews and liked your posts so much I had to start following it. It's pretty funny, we usually get the same exact Birchbox each month. :)

    I'm trying to find out if the Common Sense perfume I received is broken, the rollerball doesn't seem to move and very little scent comes out. Did you find that with yours? Thanks & love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet words!!!

      The rollerball on my perfume works perfectly, glides very smoothly and you can see that the perfume is coming out. It sounds like yours may be broken. I have noticed with other rollerball products in the past that sometimes it takes a little bit for them to get moving. Maybe try pressing down gently on the ball with your finger and trying to move it while pressing. Hope that helps! If it still doesn't seem to work, perhaps try contacting Birchbox for a replacement.

      Delete
    2. It does sound like mine is broken - just wanted to verify before contacting Birchbox. Thanks for your help!

      Delete
  2. Of course! Glad I could help. I hope Birchbox is able to send you a replacement - the scent is lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to hear a follow up on the hair treatments in this post :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons