Wednesday, March 20, 2013

White Castle Casserole

Today's recipe isn't fancy or gourmet by any standards.  It's simple, humble, looks-weird-but-tastes-great, weeknight comfort food.  Yesterday my husband left for a week-long trip and I knew I wanted to make something comforting and quick for dinner (that would leave me with plenty of leftovers).  This White Castle Casserole has been on my Dinner Ideas Pinterest board for several months.  I was waiting for a good opportunity to make it since it wasn't something the onion and pickle hating husband would enjoy.

This casserole couldn't be easier to make and the result tastes pretty similar (though a lot less greasy) to the White Castle inspiration.  The ingredients are layered together in a 9x13 pan and baked for a half hour.  Easy peasy.

Once golden brown and heated through, the casserole can be cut into 6-8 servings, topped with ketchup or mustard and served with fries.  Or you could go the simple route and enjoy it plain and solo like I did.

The crescent rolls provides a butter, flaky "bun" filled with seasoned beef, cheese, and pickles.  I really think the pickles made the dish.  I chopped mine into small bits so as to optimize my pickle per bite ratio and to avoid that annoying mouth-full-of-pickle-and-nothing-else moment that often happens when eating a burger (am I the only one who experiences that?).  Anyhoo, if you're a fan of the White Castle burger and are needing a little comfort, I definitely recommend this casserole.  It may not be fancy but it sure tastes good.

White Castle Casserole
via Recipes We Love
serves 6-8

2 Pillsbury Crescent Seamless Dough Sheets (2 cans)
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 package onion soup mix
8-10 slices of American Cheese
dill pickle slices, kept whole or chopped

Brown the meat in a pan over medium-high heat; drain, return to the pan, and add the onion soup mix.  Continue to cook over low heat for 1-2 minutes to soften the onions in the mix (add in a couple of tablespoons of water, if needed).  Set aside.

Spray a 9x13" glass baking dish with cooking spray.  Lay one sheet of crescent dough into the pan and shape to evenly cover the bottom.  Next, spread the browned and seasoned meat over the dough.  top the meat with the cheese slices followed by the chopped pickles.  Finally, top with the second dough sheet, stretching and shaping as needed to cover the filling.

Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until the dough is golden and the filling is hot.  Let cool for a minute, then slice and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I love this recipe. I followed another one that used 2 pkg's of onion soup mix---------NO. Too salty.....This one is perfect! Love pickle idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons