Wednesday, June 5, 2013

May 2013 GLOSSYBOX USA

May marked the one year anniversary of GLOSSYBOX's USA launch, "This month we put together a special collection full of treats that embraces both our past and future, with a fun nod to New York City, our hometown.  Here's to many more years of sparkle!"  I had high expectations for the products that would be included in their anniversary box...

My May GLOSSYBOX included the following items:

Amorepacific - Color Control Cushion Compact ($60/30 g)
This Color Control Cushion Compact is a multitasking wonder.  It contains powerful broad-spectrum SPF protection to combat free radicals, deep hydration for replenished skin, and complete coverage for smooth skin all in one lightweight, portable compact.

Sample size: 4 g
Sample value: $8.00

I received the shade 208 Amber Gold which, from what I can tell, is the darkest shade this product comes in.  I have the fairest of fair skintones so there is absolutely no way this product is going to work for me (scroll down for a closeup of the product and a swatch).  Unfortunately since the product is so ridiculously dark, I can't really even try it out to see if I appreciate any of the benefits it claims to offer.  Huge disappointment.

Être Belle - Collagen & Aloe Vera Hydro Mask ($39.50/10 packs)
This restructuring and moisturizing Collagen & Aloe Vera mask provides skin with an extreme moisture boost that improves elasticity and promotes hydration.  Tip: Use it just before bedtime to reap optimum benefits.

Sample size: 1 pack
Sample value: $3.95

I haven't tried this mask yet, but I'm really looking forward to using it!  I'll probably save it for the evening before an upcoming party I'm hosting when I'll want my skin to look especially nice.  I imagine this will be a nice, refreshing product to use and will be enjoyable regardless of how well it ends up working.  I have oily, well hydrated skin so this isn't the type of mask I typically gravitate towards (I swear by clay mask to detoxify and help control oil), but I'm thrilled to have this sample to try nonetheless!

European Wax Center - Slow it Body Wash ($20.00/ 8 oz) and Slow it Body Lotion ($20.00/8 oz)
(Slow it Body Wash) Prevents ingrown hair, leaves skin clear, deters bumps and blemishes while hydrating the skin.  (Slow it Body Lotion) Nourishes and softens skin while decreasing hair density to allow for softer, thinner hair growth.

Sample sizes: 4 ml (each)
Sample value: $0.68

I don't have much to say about these samples.  I haven't tried them yet, but the sizes are so tiny that I don't think I'll have enough of either product for a full use.  The claims for both products are rather bold, so I'm curious to see if they'll impress me or not.

My Prime - Multi-Purpose Mattifying Moisturizer ($68.00/60 ml)
My Prime's lightweight moisturizer packs a double punch with intense hydration and superior anti-aging benefits while delivering a flawless, matte finish.  It also doubles as a primer that keeps your makeup on all day long.

Sample size: 10 ml
Sample value: $11.33

For an oily-skinned gal like myself, this Multi-Purpose Mattifying Moisturizer sounds like an ideal product.  I'm thrilled to have received this and excited to try it out; though I will say, even with oily skin, I'm usually a little hesitant to skip a "real" moisturizer before using a mattifying product that claims to moisturize.  I'll definitely test this out by itself and after moisturizing to see what I think about the product used both ways.  I'm really pleased to have received a pretty generous amount of the product as well; there should be plenty to really give it a try over a few weeks to see how my skin reacts to it over time.

Nicka K New York - Absolute! Perfume Stick ($14.99/0.29 oz)
Absolute! Solid Perfumes embody the spirit and passion of New York, the city that never sleeps.  Escape the everyday with evocative scents, both refined and seductive, and each with a different secret to discover.  Parceled in beautiful, boutique-inspired packaging, these addictive perfumes are perfectly sized to slip into your purse and transform your world.

Sample size: 0.29 oz
Sample value: $14.99

I received the scent Parc de 59, which is described as "clean, sunny, bright... gentle green tea echoes crisply, sweet and floral notes for an amazingly refreshing combination."  I wasn't initially drawn to the scent, but the more I smell it, the more I like it.  It's definitely a lot greener and earthier than what I normally reach for, but it's very clean and pleasant.  I really do love the packaging on the perfume!  This will probably be a handbag staple for me this summer as I think it would be a great pick-me-up scent after a long, hot day.

Sebastian Professional - Volupt Spray ($19.95/5.07 oz)
The Volupt Spray is a volume-building spray gel with the cushion particle technology that best combines full volume and sensual softness.  Shake well to activate its two-phase formula and spray on damp hair.  Blowdry for extra body or air-dry to enhance waves and curls.

Sample size: 1.7 oz
Sample value: $6.69

At first I was really nervous to see that this volume spray was a gel.  However, upon reading the description and seeing that it claims to produce "sensual softness" in addition to volume, I'm extremely curious to try this product.  I have fine hair that constantly lacks volume.  I sometimes enjoy using volumizing products but don't always love the untouchable texture they often leave in my hair.  I'm skeptical, but excited to give this product a try.

Total box value: $45.64

A close up of the Absolute! Solid Perfume in Parc de 59.  The packaging is lovely (and includes a removeable cap--not pictured--to seal and protect the perfume even further) as is the scent.

A closer look at the packaging and shade of the Amorepacific Color Control Cushion Compact in 208 Amber Gold.

As you can see, unfortunately the shade I received is MUCH too dark and warm toned for my pale skin.  The product does seem to provide nice coverage and the high SPF is a huge perk for summer.  Unfortunately the terrible shade match will make this product impossible for me to actually test out on my face.

Overall I'm fairly happy with the contents of the anniversary GLOSSYBOX.  I'm pretty annoyed with having received the darkest shade of the Cushion Compact, especially since GLOSSYBOX does provide a beauty profile in which I described myself as having fair skin.  The teeny tiny European Wax Center samples are a bit of a disappointment as well, but it seems like every month has it's small foil sample.  Overall the other products are ones I'm looking forward to using.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons