Tuesday, September 3, 2013

September 2013 Julep Maven {Modern Beauty}

The September Julep Maven box was "inspired by bright lights and bold dreams."  While many of the polishes from the September boxes looked pretty, they appeared similar to shades I already had in my collection.  Instead of polish this month, I was tempted by the two beauty products included in the month's Modern Beauty box.

The September Modern Beauty Julep Maven box included a Bare Face Cleansing Oil and a Blank Canvas Mattifying Face Primer.  As someone with oily skin, I was curious to test out the primer and I was also really excited to try my first cleansing oil.  I couldn't resist ordering a box this month.

The Bare Face Cleansing Oil retails for $28.00/3.5 oz.  "This lightweight, antioxidant-rich cleanser gently and thoroughly dissolves makeup, dirt, and excess oil without over-drying skin, then rinses clean with no oily residue.  Recommended for all skin types."

I found the texture and scent of this cleansing oil to be incredibly pleasant.  The oil itself is very emollient feeling and has a subtle citrus scent.  I found that it did a great job at removing face makeup and most eye makeup, but it didn't completely remove waterproof or water-resistent mascara (such as Benefit's They're Real).  It does rinse completely clean with a little warm water, leaving the skin very comfortable with no oily residue and no tightness.  I will continue to use and enjoy this cleansing oil; however, I do recommend using a separate eye makeup remover when removing especially long-lasting mascaras.

The Blank Canvas Mattifying Primer retails for $28.00/1 oz.  "This age-defying primer creates a smooth, even canvas for gorgeous makeup that lasts all day."

I've tested this primer out a few times since receiving my box.  Unfortunately, thus far, I've yet to be even mild impressed with it's mattifying abilities.  I don't find that this mattifies my skin at all (not even upon initial application) and does nothing to help absorb excess shine throughout the day.  I will continue to test it out a little further, trying it out in combination with different moisturizers and foundations to see if there is some magical pairing that will make this primer shine.  Compared to something like the BECCA Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector, it just doesn't deliver.

Overall, the September Julep Maven Modern Beauty box was a little hit and miss for me.  Thus far I'm generally enjoying the Bare Face Cleansing Oil but find the Blank Canvas Mattifying Face Primer to be a disappointment.

The Julep Maven boxes retail for $29.99/month and are guaranteed to include at least $40 in product.  The retail value of my September Modern Beauty box was $56.00.

If you're interested in signing up for Julep Maven, you can get your first box free by entering the code "FREEBOX" during checkout.  You are free to cancel at anytime, but my favorite aspect of the Maven program is that each month you are able to preview your box and you may choose to skip any given month to avoid paying for that month's box.  The program is pretty much risk-free.  I've been a very happy subscriber since the program launched.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons