Sunday, January 19, 2014

January 2014 Ipsy Glam Bag

The January 2014 Ipsy Glam Bag was named "19 Reasons" in honor of the various brands included in the month's bags encouraging "19 reasons to make it an amazing new year, a million reasons to be a beautiful new you!"

My January Glam Bag included the following samples:

Sexy Hair - Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Tri-Wheat Leave in Conditioner ($17.95/8.5 oz)
The Sexy Hair Healthy Sexy Hair Tri-Wheat Leave in Conditioner is a powerful combination of Soy and Cocoa work synergistically to perfectly care for your hair!  A conditioner that is both a nourishing moisturizer and mild protein reconstructor and safe to use on color-treated hair.

Sample size: 1.7 oz
Sample value: $3.59

This is actually a product that has been in my rotation for about a year now.  I have fairly fine, straight, hair; I use this Leave in Conditioner on wet hair after showering.  I mainly utilize it as a detangler, though I do notice it does in part some subtle moisture as well.  While I do enjoy this product, I don't notice that it's any more effective than other products of this type.  I'll probably set aside this sample for use while traveling.

Épicé - Purifying Exfoliant ($32.00/3.3 oz)
A unique exfoliant which removes excess dirt and dead skin cells all while activating collage production and hydrating your skin.  This moisture rich formula utilizes mild, non-irritating and anti-bacterial cleansers which microfine polyspheres which enhances skin texture and clarity for a clean, fresh appearance.

Sample size: 1 oz
Sample value: $9.70

I haven't used physical exfoliants regularly on my face in about a year.  I prefer a chemical exfoliant like the Paula's Choice RESIST Weekly Resurfacing Treatment with 10% AHA that does a fantastic job of exfoliating while being gentle on the skin.  I've tested this product on my hand and it seems like it will be fairly effective while still gentle; the exfoliating particles are extremely fine yet plentiful and remind me of the rice bran particles in the Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant suspended in a cleanser.  This is a pretty generous sample and I'll keep it on hand in the shower for mornings when my skin looks a little dull, but it won't be replacing my favorite exfoliant anytime soon.

Proactiv+ - Mark Fading Pads (individual price unknown; only sold as a kit)
The Proactiv+ Mark Fading Pads are a convenient, single-use, no-rinse peel pad that can instantly boost your skin's glow and radiance.  The pads help remove dead skin cells to unclog pores and remove dull layers to reveal new, smoother, more even toned skin.

Sample size: 4 pads
Sample value: unknown, approximately $2 (estimating about $0.50/each)

Like many Proactiv products, these Mark Fading Pads can only be purchased as part of a full kit which immediately disappointed me a little seeing these sampled in my bag this month.  That aside, I'm curious to try these.  I really like that they're individually wrapped which makes them convenient to use (and great for traveling).  The details of this product remind me a lot of the Paula's Choice RESIST Weekly Resurfacing Treatment with 10% AHA, which makes me optimistic that I'll love these.  While my favorite Paula's Choice product contains 10% glycolic acid, these Proactiv+ Mark Fading Pads have 5% glycolic acid and the added benefit of 2% salicylic acid to clear pores.

Elizabeth Mott - Smooth Shadow ($14.99/1.5 g)
The ultimate gel pencil that's smooth like butter and packed with deliciously creamy colors.  These velvety pencils glide on with ease, and contain just enough shimmer.  They're also waterproof and perfect to wear all day and night, a must have for all color lovers!

Sample size: 0.7 g
Sample value: $7.00

This Smooth Shadow pencil in Pearl was the product that excited me the most initially when I opened my Glam Bag this month.  I've been on the hunt for a light flesh-toned pencil for brightening my waterline.  I've tried out the Rimmel Scandaleyes in Nude, which has a great formula but was just too dark and yellow for my skintone.  This shade is light and bright, with a subtle glimmer to open the eye.  I haven't worn this for a full day yet, so I can't speak to how long wearing it is, but the initial effect is pretty though very subtle.  I'm not sure if it's the color or the formula, but this product doesn't show up dramatically on my waterline and the difference before and after of using the product on me is barely noticeable.  This could easily just be me though, as I find eyeliners in general don't transfer that well to my waterline.

MicaBeauty - Tinted Lip Balm ($30.00/4 g)
MicaBeauty's 24 hour Tinted Lip Balm conditions your lips without smudging while delivering sophisticated finish.  For a sheer wash of color, one swipe is all you need.  For a bolder pout, simply apply another swipe and this lip balm will create lips every woman covets.  Kiss-proof and smudge-proof!

Sample size: 2.5 g
Sample value: $18.75

While I find the color of this MicaBeauty Tinted Lip Balm (Natural) to be very pretty, the formula disappoints me.  It claims to be kiss-proof and smudge-proof, but I don't find it to be even remotely long-wearing.  It never sets on my lips and easily smudges and wears off.  For a "Lip Balm" it's not moisturizing either, so it really just functions as very slippery, slightly sheer lipstick.  If I layer the product on thick, it ends up looking rather odd: uneven and caky.  I'm just not loving the formula though the shade is beautiful.

{Swatches of the Elizabeth Mott Smooth Shadow in Pearl and MicaBeauty Tinted Lip Balm in Natural}

Total bag value: approximately $41.04

I'm not overly fond of my January Ipsy Glam Bag contents.  This month's bag itself smelled rather cheap and plastic and unfortunately the products I received didn't impress me much either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons