Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dinner for Two

I spent part of yesterday in the kitchen, listening to the new Maria Taylor (with Andy LeMaster) and baking. I made Emily's Rosemary and Olive Oil Bread, which I absolutely adore and have made on a number of ocassions, the hubby's favorite chicken casserole and crème brûlée.

I didn't take any photos of the crème brûlée. I attempted to use my really cheap butane torch that I typically use only for making head pins, which was only partially successful. I work in the bakery at Fresh Market and my torch apparently doesn't get nearly as hot as the bakery's. I had the most difficult time getting the sugar to crystalize. I made some whipped cream and sprinkled some fresh raspberries on top of mine. The recipe I used only called for a bit of sugar and a hint of vanilla, which I was worried about. Rightly so, because the dessert ended up tasting pretty much entirely of egg with no apparent sweet vanilla flavor. Not too much of a disappointment, I had fun with the experiment and we had everything but heavy cream already in the house.

Has anyone successfully made crème brûlée at home before? Any recipes or tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons