Saturday, September 14, 2013

September 2013 Birchbox

September marked the three year anniversary of Birchbox!  Heritage was the theme of this month's box: an ode to the history and journey of the brands we love.  "The best part about beauty?  It's not the glitter or the gloss, or even those miraculous antioxidants from far-off lands.  It's the stories.  Every brand we work with, from the just-hatched to the iconic, has its own fascinating history."

My September Birchbox included the following samples:

Coastal Scents - Eye Shadow ($34.00-$39.00/88 pan palette)
Four complementary shades that can easily (and beautifully) take you from day to night.

Sample size: 4 pans
Sample value: ~$1.55

{Swatches of the Coastal Scents eyeshadow samples in Thrill Ride.}

This four pan sampler includes two matte shades (a charcoal gray and a bright forest green) and two shimmery bronze shades.  These shadows feel pretty smooth upon touching them, but they swatched a little chalky and had a bit of fallout.  Aside from concerns on the texture, these colors are pretty--perfect for fall--and I appreciate the mixture of matte and shimmer shades.

Ruffian - Nail Lacquer in Hedge Fund ($10.00/0.17 oz)
Metallic green from the fashion label's first lacquer collection.  Exclusive to Birchbox!

Sample size: 0.17 oz
Sample value: $10.00

{Two coats of the Ruffian Nail Lacquer in Hedge Fund.  Natural light, no topcoat.}

As you can see in the photo above, my polish had leaked a little during shipping (not so much that it was ruined, however).  The color itself is a shimmery forest green.  It applied smoothly and was opaque in two coats.  This will be a very pretty color for fall.

VOESH New York - Collagen Hand Mask ($20.00/3 pair of masks)
A luxe pre-mani treatment that hydrates and blocks UV rays with vitamin E and collagen.

Sample size: one pair mask
Sample value: $6.67

I think this product has me most intrigued and excited of any of the samples I received this month.  This hand mask is meant to be used as a moisture treatment during a manicure.  While my hands aren't in rough shape, my cuticles do become dry easily and I'm curious to see how much of a difference this makes.  I'm hoping to get time to give myself a full manicure this weekend, during which I look forward to trying out this hand mask!

Yes To Blueberries - Cleansing Facial Towelettes ($7.99/30 towelettes)
Powered by our fave superfood, these oil-free wipes purify skin without any drying effects.

Sample size: 8 towelettes
Sample value: $2.13

I have tried several products from the Yes To line over the years, including the Cucumber Facial Towelettes, but I haven't tried these from the Yes To Blueberries range.  I actually put one to use to remove swatches while I was photographing this month's beauty boxes and I found them to be fairly effective at removing makeup and they had a lovely, fresh scent (this may not be everyone's cup of tea, however).  I really didn't care for the Yes to Cucumber Facial Towelettes as I didn't find they removed makeup very well, weren't particularly moist, and stung my eyes a little.  I'm hoping these from the Blueberries range will perform better on my face.

Yes To Grapefruit - CC Cream ($15.99/1.7 oz)
Multitasker with naturally brightening grapefruit and SPF 18 to even out and protect skin.

Sample size: unknown
Sample value: unknown

These CC Cream samples were my "Beauty Extra" this month.  I'm not overly impressed with the sample size or packaging, but the "extra" product tends to be a foil sample, so it's not a surprise.  I haven't given this a try yet, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get one full application from the sample (the light-medium shade is definitely much too dark for my skin tone).


Total box value: approximately $20.35 + value of CC Cream sample

Overall, this is one of my least favorite Birchbox assortments that I've received recently.  I'm excited to try the hand mask and the polish is a pretty shade (though I do own a few others already that are similar), but the other items don't overly thrill me.

What did you receive in your September Birchbox?

2 comments:

  1. Birchbox was sold out when I attempted to sign up. :\
    The nail polish you received looked lovely. I love greens. Also, I just have to ask..the eye shadow you received is called Coastal Scents..does the makeup smell particularly nice or does that name refer to another line of products that company makes?

    Happy Saturday!
    Kristina
    sidewalksandspices.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina, unfortunately Birchbox is often "sold out" and there's a waiting list to sign up. Coastal Scents refers to the makeup brand (the eyeshadows themselves are not scented).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons