Friday, November 1, 2013

October 2013 Sweet Taste Trunk

Four months subscribed to Taste Trunk and my love of the service continues to grow.  For October I tried out the Sweet Trunk for the first time and was beyond thrilled with the selection I received.

Just before the death of flowers,
And before they are buried in snow
There comes a festival season
When nature is all aglow.

Each month Taste Trunk offers four different trunk themes to choose from: the Gourmet Trunk, the Health Trunk, the Sweet Trunk, and the BBQ Trunk.  For $29/month (plus a $5.99 shipping charge--these trunks can be quite heavy and ship USPS Priority Mail, arriving promptly on or before the 15th of the month), you receive "5-10 products, discount coupons, backgrounds on the companies and amazing recipe ideas."

My October Sweet Trunk included a variety of decadent cookies from four different companies.  I was pretty much drooling the entire time I snapped these photos and immediately enjoyed a sampling of the cookies once I finished taking pictures.

Cake - Coconut Macaroons (value unknown, estimating approximately $10.00)
"Our distinctive Coconut Macaroon, made from the finest organic ingredients, is one of life's little pleasures.  A sinfully delicious alchemy, it's caramelized exterior encases a chewy, moist, center that is sure to send your senses into a state of euphoria.  Isn't it time to indulge yourself?  Gluten free by design, organic by choice."

Oh my gosh, these were amazing!  These were definitely the highlight of this month's trunk, in my opinion.  Funny thing because I was most disappointed to see these when I opened my box.  It wasn't until earlier this year that I really began embracing coconut in desserts.  I had never (at least not to my recollection) even tried a coconut macaroon until I bit into one of these glorious morsels.  I was blown away!  The description on the back of the package described these perfectly 'a chewy, moist center encased by a caramelized exterior.'  The taste and texture of these was brilliant.  I'm now on the hunt for the perfect macaroon recipe to recreate these in my own kitchen since, unfortunately, I can't purchase these anywhere near me.

Wooden Table Baking Co. - Alfajores ($5.50/3 alfajores)
"We make our alfajores from scratch with high quality all natural ingredients in small batches.  Try our alfajores with your favorite afternoon beverage or for dessert.  Discover a special treat that so many Argentineans already know and love."

These cookies had a beautiful texture and bold, yet balanced flavor.  These alfajores were also a first for me and they were delicious!

Il Molientto Bakery - Baci di Dama ($6.00/3.17 oz)
"A speciality in Piemonte, Italy, these Baci di Dama or "Lady Kisses" cookies are made with hazelnuts and almonds, with a rich layer of dark Belgian chocolate."

I loved these "Lady Kisses" far more than I expected.  These humble little cookies reminded me of Sandies, which were a favorite of mine growing up.  Next to the Coconut Macaroons, these were my favorite of the box.  Absolutely delicious!

Marlo's Bake Shop - Original and Midnight Marlos ($14.99/6 cookies)
"For starters, it's not biscotti.  Marlos are...well, different.  Sure, they're twice baked like biscotti, but the similarities end there.  Marlos are unique, handmade cookies baked in small batches using the highest quality ingredients available."

These biscotti were good, but definitely the least memorable of the bunch.  Neither my husband or I were particularly crazy about these.  Plain they were definitely bland and somewhat dry.  Dipped in coffee or milk enhanced them a bit, but they weren't anything overly special.


Approximate value of my October Sweet Taste Trunk: $36.49

The October Sweet Trunk definitely didn't disappoint.  Not only were these contents unique and delicious, I really enjoyed trying out several new-to-me types of cookies.  The experience was utterly satisfying and I love the inspiration the experience brought me to try out a few new recipes.  I can't wait to see what the November Sweet Trunk has in store!

If you'd like to try Taste Trunk, you can save 25% on your first trunk with the code "winsomegirl25" which will bring your cost down to $21.75 (plus $5.99 shipping).  If you do decide to sign up, please kindly provide my name (Amy Kelly) as your referral during checkout.

*Full disclosure: I paid for the Taste Trunk subscription with my own money.  I receive no benefit if you use the discount code Taste Trunk provided me to share with you.  I am, however, an ambassador for the company and receive a very small commission when new members enter my name as their referral during checkout.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yum I'd love to get a food subscription box! They don't have them in Australia yet. :( Only beauty boxes and fruit/veggies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons