Tuesday, December 17, 2013

December 2013 Gourmet Taste Trunk {Plus a 50% Off Code}

Today I have my December Gourmet Taste Trunk to share with you, as well as a special offer for anyone interested in signing up for the service.  If you'd like to see what I have received in past Trunks and learn a little more about the service, you can read my previous Taste Trunk posts/reviews here.

This month's trunk came decked out for the holidays.  Taste Trunk always meticulously packages their boxes, but this month stepped things up even more with a lovely festive flare.

An itty bitty stocking filled with candy was tied to the usual packaging that contains the product info/recipe cards that are included with each box.

My December Taste Trunk included the following products:

Leopoldt - Oblaten Lebkuchen Assorted (approximately $3.00/200g)
"The Lebkuchen is a traditional Christmas cookie, which is often enjoyed with a cup of tea or coffee.  Made from high quality ingredients, they have a sweet, light nutty taste, and their aroma is spice, a bit like nutmeg and allspice.  Includes 3 sugar coated and 4 chocolate coated cookies."

I love that these were included in the holiday Trunk!  It's so fun and festive getting to try a traditional Christmas cookie from another country.  These taste and texture of these are what you'd expect if a macaron and a chewy ginger cookie had a baby.  They're really unlike anything else I've tried before.  The warmth of the spices is so perfect for a cold evening with a cup of tea, coffee or cocoa.  Both the sugar coated and chocolate coated version are delicious.  The dark chocolate cuts a little of the spice and adds a lovely sweetness, while the sugar allows the flavors to really stand out and shine.  I really loved getting to try these; unfortunately, it seems they would be incredibly hard to track down if I ever wanted to repurchase them.

Two Snooty Chefs - Spicy Sedona ($4.98/1.75 oz bar)
"Spicy Sedona brings warmth to the body with the chipotle spice, with complex layers of herbs and spices, finished with cilantro and lime to refresh the palette."

You can really taste the chipotle and lime in this chocolate.  It makes for a incredibly unique and unexpected experience.  I quite like it!

Belfine - Chau'Cho! (approximately $1.60/chocolate stick)
"This Belgian innovation has caused a sensation in Europe.  Simply put the chocolate end of the stick in a cup of hot milk, stir, and voila - rich, hot chocolate, sinfully delicious and creamy."

I really love the concept of hot chocolate on a stick.  It's convenient, portable, and great for gifting!  Chau'Cho! suggests heating 7 oz. of milk to 170° then stirring the product in the hot milk until thoroughly melted.  This worked beautifully for me and created the perfect, chocolaty concoction.  I hands down prefer hot chocolate over hot cocoa and I love Chau'Cho! as a convenient, super fast option.  The only problem is I'm having a hard time finding an easy place to purchase these online in the US.  If easy available, these would make great holiday gifts and stocking stuffers!

Biscotti Bari - Lemon Poppyseed Biscotti ($2.00/1.25 oz)
"Italian style, small-batch, homemade biscotti crafted with care the same way it's done in Bari, Italy... with slow, skilled hands using only the finest, all-natural, local ingredients."

This biscotti has a great texture and a nice bright, but not overpowering flavor.  I'm thinking the lemon poppyseed combination would be delicious dipped in a cup of Earl Grey tea.

Gourmet Temptations - Spicy Cider Bourbon Glaze ($8.00/16 oz)
"Spicy Cider Bourbon Glaze - naturally dark, rich, sweet and mildy spiced with multiple uses."

This is the product that had me most excited from first glance after opening my Trunk this month.  My first thought was that this would be perfect for glazing a ham to serve at Christmas dinner.  Sure enough, the info/recipe card included for this product provided a recipe for "Crispy Cider-Bourbon Glazed Ham."  I'm drooling just thinking about it and I'm fairly certainly I'm going to push to get that put on our Christmas menu this year.  This is a product that, if it tastes as good as it sounds, would likely be something I would repurchase again and again.

Dulcet - Tangy & Peppery Moroccan Sauce ($8.00/9 oz.)
"The perfect sauce for capturing the flavors of Morocco!  This full-flavored savory sauce, with just a hint of pepper, is excellent with chicken, beef, lamb and veggies."

Anyone who knows me well knows I have a love affair with pepper, so this is right up my alley.  Moroccan is definitely a cuisine that I haven't explored much, so I'm excited to give this sauce a try!

Total value of my December Gourmet Taste Trunk: approximately $27.58

Overall I'm really happy with the contents of my December Gourmet Taste Trunk.  Each product that I've tried thus far has been unique and delicious!  Having paid $29.00 for the box, I do wish the value had been a bit higher; however, my total was an estimate seeing that a couple of the products were foreign and I couldn't find a US supplier for a more accurate price estimate.  That said, I am really pleased with the products themselves and I'm especially looking forward to trying the Spicy Cider Bourbon Glaze!


If you're interested in trying out Taste Trunk, you can sign up and receive 50% off your first trunk using the code "Friends50" at checkout (be sure to also enter "thatwinsomegirl@gmail.com" in the referrer field at checkout).  I'm not sure how long this offer lasts, so I'd recommend signing up sooner rather than later if you were interested in the service.  With the discount, your first Trunk would only be $14.50 (plus $5.99 shipping); however, if you remained subscribed to the service, your future Trunks would be the usual subscription price of $29.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons