Monday, January 13, 2014

New Years Resolutions

I've been quiet around the blog the past couple of weeks, but I'm back today and I wanted to share a little bit about my goals for 2014.  I'm not normally one to make a big fuss about New Years, setting some unattainable resolution(s) on January 1st, only to fail or forget about them before spring even arrives.  While I don't plan to make any bold, set-in-stone resolutions for 2014, I do have some modest, general goals that I've set for myself.

I feel like I'm in a sort of transitional period in my life.  I'll be turning 27 this year, finally feel like a bonafide adult, and am feeling the pressure to accomplish a few things that are important to me before I hit the big 3-0.  Naturally there are a few goals I'd like to meet this year to nudge me along the path to being the successful woman I'd like to become.

In general, I'm going to wholeheartedly focus this year on growing my jewelry business and this blog.  While I've been running a business since 2006 and this blog since 2008, I've really let my shyness and insecurities hold me back from going places over the years.  While working on the shyness is going to be a lifelong process, I have resolved to be more diligent with updating my online shop, posting here on the blog, and generally giving my businesses my all.

I started working with a graphic designer last fall to brand my businesses and create a new website/blog.  While the work isn't entirely in my hands, I'm hoping the whole process will be complete before year's end.  I think the pick-me-up in branding will help establish a recognizable look for my business and blog and create a more professional appearance overall.

This year I'm making some investments to expand my skills and to improve my craft.  After years of wanting to take up metalsmithing, I've finally splurged on some of the basic tools I needed to do so.  I'm also in the process of learning mold-making and resin casting so I can begin reproducing the vintage flowers that I so dearly love to use in my designs.  These are two new skills that I've wanted to learn for some time, but I'm thrilled to finally take the leap.  As these new skills elevate my work, I'm going to apply for a few more prestigious art/craft shows this year.

As far as life in general is concerned, I'm hoping that I can make some advancements this year in being a more organized, productive person overall.  Again, no set-in-stone resolutions as far as this is concerned, but I'd like to feel a little more put together come 2015.


I can already say I'm well underway working on accomplishing my "learn to metalsmith" resolution.  I've started making some simple, slim sterling silver textured stacking rings which are now available in my Etsy shop for purchase.

These sterling silver stack rings have really sparked a major passion and I'm excited to learn more techniques in metal.  I hand form, solder, hammer, and polish each of these rings by hand.  The entire process is utterly thrilling and addicting.  As I'm able, I plan to expand my collection of metalsmithing tools so I can continue to explore new techniques and projects.  This is just the beginning!


I'd love to know what you goals and resolutions are for 2014.  Any tips on staying motivated when your resolutions are less-than fun?

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, beautiful rings! I've been wanting a set of stackable rings. Off to checkout your online store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be a successful woman? That is a great goal to have! It’s not an easy task, but what’s the sense of having a goal if it will not challenge you, right? Anyway, working on a new website for your business is a good start. Once it’s done, I’m sure you will not have a hard time achieving your other goals.

    Marta @ Canyon Marketing

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons