Saturday, March 30, 2013

April 2013 Julep Maven Box

The April Julep Maven polishes were all bright and vibrant shades, which usually aren't my favorites.  There were a couple of colors (a hot pink and red creme) that caught my eye, but they were so similar to shades I already have in my collection that I nearly passed on this month's Maven box altogether.  What did strike my curiosity were the products included in the new "Modern Beauty" style profile (perfect for those who want to skip the polish and try products instead).  The April "Modern Beauty" box included two new Julep products: the Mighty Nail & Cuticle Serum and the Dry Clean Invisible Dry Shampoo.

Now, to be completely honest, I probably wouldn't have purchased the box this month had I not had enough referral credits to cover the cost of the box.  $19.99 (the cost of the monthly Julep Maven box) is a bit steep, in my opinion, for a dry shampoo and a cuticle serum that may or may not work for me.  That said, I'm always really curious about the new products Julep releases and I am excited to test these out.

The Dry Clean Invisible Dry Shampoo claims to be a "lightweight spray-on powder that absorbs oil, adds body, and leaves no residue."  This is a pretty typical claim of a lot of dry shampoos, though most fall short and aren't truly invisible or residue-free.  Julep created an entire video to introduce this dry shampoo and provide tips on how to use it.

I am incredibly particular when it comes to dry shampoo.  I have tried tons over the past couple of years and have liked only a couple (Batiste and Lush Do Drought are my favorites).  Upon first use of this dry shampoo, I have to say I'm really impressed!  It does seem to be truly invisible and residue-free.  I had my second day hair back in a tight pony tail before using this product, so I didn't really see any added body, but it certainly was invisible and left my hair feeling absolutely clean and product-free while removing the grease and shine.  I'll have to give this product a more thorough test before I really form an opinion about it, but so far so good.  I will say that I think the product is incredibly overpriced at $22.00 for only 3 oz. of product.  I'd probably go through the entire can in 2-4 weeks.  So, unless this product worked miracles, I definitely wouldn't consider repurchasing it.

The Mighty Nail & Cuticle Serum claims to 'transform dry and damaged cuticles overnight and to give visibly stronger, smoother nails with fewer ridges and less splitting and brittleness in only 2-3 weeks.'  The formula is filled with "peptides--super-charged amino acids that build keratin (for your nails) and collagen (for your cuticles)."  The directions suggest applying the serum twice a day for the first two weeks of use, then once a week afterward.  Conveniently, it can be applied on bare or polishes nails.

I have pretty healthy nails and cuticles to begin with.  My nails grow super fast (about 2 mm a week) and I don't really experience any breaking or peeling.  My cuticles, on the other hand, could always use a little extra moisture.  I'll have to report back in a few weeks with any noticeable changes I see in my nails after using this product, but I do enjoy the initial application and hydration the serum provides.  It sinks into the nails and cuticles almost immediately, so there isn't any drying time like one experiences with a greasy, thick oil or cuticle cream.  Immediately upon use, the cuticles appear hydrated and any dryness is taken care of.  My first impressions of this serum are favorable and I look forward to seeing what benefits it will provide over time.  The serum retails for $28.00 for .09 oz of product.  Definitely not cheap, but products like this tend to last a while so this one may be worth a repurchase if it ends up impressing me.

First impressions have me pretty excited to see how these two products work for me over the coming weeks.  Let me know if you're interested in a more in-depth review after I've had time to really test them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons