Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Basic Banana Bread {with a hint of bourbon and spice}

Typically when I have a bunch of bananas becoming ripe faster than I will consume them, I freeze them for use in smoothies; however, every now and then I decide to make banana bread.  Today was one of those days.

While I certainly enjoy banana bread that has been dressed up with chocolate chips and walnuts or pecans, today I decided to go with a more classic recipe: not nuts or chocolate, just a hint of spice.

Basic Banana Bread like this seems so classic and really hits the spot.  It's moist and sweet and full of banana flavor.  Sometimes I like to enjoy mine toasted with a smear of butter.  Along side a cup of coffee in the morning or afternoon: you can't go wrong.

This recipe is subtly spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.  I don't taste a big kick of spices in the finished bread, but they add a nice, gentle warmth.  There is also a little splash of bourbon in the recipe.  The bourbon is completely optional and, honestly, I really couldn't taste it in the finished product.  But, I mean, any excuse to throw a little bourbon in your dessert can't be bad.  Am I right?

Basic Banana Bread
adapted slightly from Smitten Kitchen

3-4 ripe bananas, smashed (I used four)
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup light brown sugar, loosely packed
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Spray a 4x8 loaf pan with cooking spray or grease with butter.

In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas with the melted butter.  Stir in the sugar, egg, vanilla and bourbon, then sprinkle in the spices, salt and baking soda and mix well.  Add in the flour and stir until just combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons